Targus Releases R.5.3.1 for Ubuntu Linux
Targus released the driver software Release 5.3.1 adding support for Ubuntu 20.04. This version has been validated on a minimal set of DisplayLink based Targus Universal Docking Stations (UDS) but should work with any Targus Universal Docking Stations models ACP7XX, DOCK310, and DOCK1XX.
The driver enables video support for products using DisplayLink USB graphics technology. Standard native Ubuntu drivers provide support for audio and Ethernet interfaces. It provides production quality support for Targus Universal Docking Stations on specific variants of desktop Ubuntu Linux.
Supported O/S variants
This release has been prepared to be compatible with Ubuntu 20.04, 19.10, and 18.04. Other variants and editions may be compatible if they meet minimum O/S requirements but only 20.04 LTS has been validated by Targus at this time.
Known IssuesKnown issues are shown here. The full release notes are shown here.
Uninstall the current DisplayLink Ubuntu driver with the following command on a Terminal and then follow the Installation Instructions below:
sudo displaylink-installer uninstall
- Make sure your Ubuntu distribution is up to date by running sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade from a Terminal. If the distribution is not up to date, you may find issues with blank or corrupted USB displays.
- Extract the .run file from the .zip file. Make the .run file executable by right clicking on the file and choose “Properties”. Check the “Allow executing file as a program” box as shown below.
- Install the DKMS framework from a Terminal using command sudo apt-get install dkms
- Execute the DisplayLink .run file using the Terminal, by cding to the directory containing the .run file and running the command sudo ./displaylink-driver-XXXX.run (where xxxx is the version number)
- The DisplayLink software should install as shown below.
- You can now connect and may need to reconnect your DisplayLink products to the computer.
Thirty-five years and a history of firsts, Targus has been revolutionizing mobile computing accessories for large enterprises and end-users alike — connecting people and technology in meaningful ways. From laptop bags to tablet cases to peripherals and universal docking stations, we persistently conceive, design, and produce innovative, productivity-boosting solutions that make the complex, simple; and help people pursue their passions and live their purpose – at work and in life. We cross categories, regions, industries, and lifestyles with a breadth and depth of products that seamlessly provide you with everything you need to live, dream, and do.
Headquartered in Anaheim, California, Targus has global operations in over 45 offices and distribution in more than 100 countries. Learn more about us at targus.com, like or follow us on Facebook, and LinkedIn.